Apr 10, 2009

Meet Jen of PoleStar

I'm a big admirer of Jen's work. Her Etsy shop, PoleStar, is full of gorgeous jewelry. I love the simplicity of her designs. Most of her pieces are made with beautiful gemstones. But, she also has some great work made with vintage beads. Not only is she a super sweet lady, but she's managed to make a great success of her shop, in a massively saturated jewelry category on Etsy. Bravo!


Jen was kind enough to answer some questions so we can learn more about her...


1. Tell a little about yourself.
My name is Jennifer C. from Raleigh, NC.  I have lived all over the US and some 
time in Europe but I settled in Raleigh and with the exception of finishing up
some schooling I have lived here for almost 14 years now.

2. What do you create. What is your shop. Talk about your work.

I create gemstone, vintage bead and lamp work jewelry. I really like to mix
metal tones such as gold/copper/oxidized and non oxidized sterling silver.

3. What inspires you?

I tend to be more inspired by gemstones but I really love vintage beads as well.
I am inspired also by pop culture, nature, human connection to Earth and our
experience of it. Movies and books are very inspiring to me as well. I try to
force myself to make time to watch movies I know will be inspiring and also to sit
down and make time to relax. I read every night before I close my eyes and I try
to read a good mix of nonfiction and fiction for inspiration. I am also very
inspired by music, but only when I am in the right mood. I am pretty emotionally
affected by music so while it is inspirational, I don't listen to it that often
unless I am in a mood to create along a certain line.

4. Are you able to create full time, or do you have another day job?

I stay home with my two boys, who are 2 and 4. I do not make jewelry
until they
are in bed so most of my work is nocturnal. I photograph my jewelry
while my 2 year
old naps and sometimes prepare items to be shipped while the
boys are awake but that
is all I can manage with the two of them running around.
And with Spring arriving
we will be out of the house as much as we can, so night
time is the right time for
me!

5. What is the hardest lesson you have had to learn?

The hardest lesson for me has been balancing a busy business with my personal
life.
I really try to think of myself as a "work at home" business owner but my
children
are young now, and it is the time to concentrate on them. They will be in
school
all day down the road, and part of me really looks forward to being able to
concentrate on my business more.

6. What is your favorite and least favorite part of the work you do?

My favorite part is having an excuse to buy gorgeous gemstones and create
beautiful
and simple designs from them. I really love the photography and photo
editing part
of listing the jewelry.

My least favorite part is shopping for supplies, spending the money to order
supplies and preparing items to ship. It just gets tedious.

7. What other talent/craft would you like to learn?

There is so much. I would love to be an illustrator, know how to sew, I would also
love to learn some metalwork.

8. If you could choose a celebrity to wear/endorse/use your work, who would it be?

Anyone, really. Who am I to turn down that kind of exposure? I would never feel
right sending some free I don't think, but hey, if they are buying it, they are free
to do whatever they want with it on, just please be in front of a camera! ;)

9. Some of Jen's favorite things:

color: Midnight Blue, food: Korean, website, http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/,
city: Paris, place to vacation: any beach, time of day 9pm,
team: NC Triangle Street Team, season: Autumn, holiday: Halloween.



Thank you Jen for the fabulous interview.
Don't forget to visit Jen's shop, PoleStar.













1 comment:

Jennifer Cowgill said...

Thank you so much for the feature Gina! You know I have long admired your jewelry and I am so honored you would feature me on your lovely blog.

Jen